Friday, May 03, 2013

Review: Entangled by Cat Clarke

EntangledEntangled by Cat Clarke
My rating: 2.75 of 5 stars

I read Entangled right after I read Dare Me. I wanted something light to read, after reading about such horrible characters. It was a good book, but I wanted a thriller with characters I could relate to.

So I opened Entangled and my first though was. "I love this cover." It's quite gorgeous, eh? Cat Clarke tends to have really great covers, so whoever does them. Thank you. Not only from me, but my eyes as well.

The book starts off with Grace in a room. She doesn't know how she got there, she doesn't know what happened. But the only thing she can do is write and remember things she doesn't want to remember.

Sounds intriguing.

And it was, until you figure out why Grace is in the room. This will happen fairly quickly; however, there is another plot in here that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Sal, Grace's friend, and Nat, Grace's boyfriend, have been acting strange. And once you see them acting strange, you figure out the reason why as well.

I wanted to like this book a lot more, but each mystery wasn't subtle. It was drilled into your head to the point that once the reveal actually happened in the book, you don't really care.

In terms of characters. I have to say, I found the characters in Dare Me, despite their horrible ways, to be less horrible than the people in this book. Grace is whiny, Sal, while sympathetic at first, is stupid, and Nat is a jerk.

Since we see more of Grace, I didn't like her the most. I've mentioned this before, but I don't like it when characters bad mouth their parents. In my culture, if you act the way Grace did then you get shipped out to Africa and play around with the lions and hyenas. Once you do that, you come back and you behave yourself. I'm kidding about playing with the lions...there isn't any where I'm from. Just hyenas and some other animals.


[I'm kidding about playing with the lions...there isn't any where I'm from. Just hyenas and some other animals. (hide spoiler)]
 I wanted to like her, but she's a horrible friend and only thinks about herself. I do like how Clarke showed how bad Grace's self esteem issues really were, but it still wasn't enough for me to care or even like her. Her reason for cutting wasn't really established for me to understand why she did it.

Entangled, while it may have a beautiful cover, isn't what I expected, and I don't mean this in a good way. The only saving grace (haha) was the writing. So I'll read Torn for that reason...and the fact that it has a beautiful cover. It's gorgeous. I think I like it even better than this one.

2.75 out of 5

No comments: